What a roller coaster ride with little Amelia it’s been since her six month marker and it’s both amazing and terrifying to realise she’s 9 months old today! From starting solids and splashing with glee at bath time to the sweetest baby gurgles and laughs as we mimic each other, to temper tantrums and tears when she hits over tired or has an eczema flare up, to her somehow still only sleeping for an average of 2 1/2 hours at any one time at night. Any other mama’s feeling the drain of sleep deprivation? Know any methods other than CIO?
Sleep deprivation aside it’s been a mostly fun ride, though learning how to keep her toasty through those cold, cold nights has been a bit of a challenge, especially because she just loves to kick off her covers. When I do grab some shut eye it’s usually fraught with worry and thoughts of ‘what if the blanket goes over her face’, or ‘what if she’s waking up because she’s cold and I haven’t dressed her warmly enough’. So on goes the light while I behold my little sleeping angel, who’s usually managed to kick off the blanket. I tuck the blanket in tightly around her again and sometimes she stays asleep through this, but usually she wakes up, and the cycle starts again (and again … and again). Because my baby has FOMO and once she’s up, she’s usually up for a while. **Sigh**
It’s enough to drive any new mom to insanity (the definition of which is doing the same thing over and over again, expecting different results)… and insanity is where I was definitely heading. Right up until I received a beautiful Baby Sense Winter Sleepy Sac.
Designed to keep little ones safe and warm this sleeping bag styled blanket eliminates the need to constantly check that your baby is safe and warm, and in no danger of suffocation. I’ve been using it for the past two weeks as part of her bedtime routine and after week one of use, it’s definitely made a difference in her comfort level at night. I’ve even been leaving her in it during those cold mornings and trips to granny, and can happily say I’m actually getting some shut eye now – for which I will gleefully insert a ‘whoop, whoop’ right here!
My favourite Sleepy Sac features:
- Age range – the Baby Sense Sleepy Sac is good from around 5 months* up to 18 months (*5 months or when your baby hits 7kg / their head no longer goes through the neck opening … which for me was midway through the 8 month marker. What can I say, my little lady is still pretty petite)
- Seatbelt / high chair opening – I can take Amelia from bed to the breakfast table, and from home to grannies, all while keeping her snug as a bug in a rug, and the best part is the fact she sleeps happily in it while in the car
- Zip Closure pocket – the tiny pocket that goes over the zip means that when we snuggle in the early hours of the morning the zip doesn’t push into either of us like some closures do – and Amelia can’t see the zip so she doesn’t play with it
- Organic Cotton – perfect for anyone who is trying to keep their baby in natural fibers for either personal or health reasons, it also washes incredibly well
- Three layers of warmth – with three layers of organic cotton to help prevent cold seeping in, your baby looks cute and feels cosy – though I do constantly check when we’re travelling that she hasn’t overheated in the car
- Baby’s Mobility – Amelia can still roll, move and play happily
Though this product was gifted to me by Baby Sense, I’ve been a big fan of their products since Amelia was born. In fact, if you’ve seen any pictures of Amelia from birth to three months, you’d have noticed that she was usually swaddled in a nice, big airy Baby Sense Muslin wrap (I bought 5 as they’re so handy!); when I’m out feeding her, she’s cuddled up beneath the Baby Sense Feeding Shawl (which has a handy sand weight so the shawl stays put on your shoulder). And have I ever mentioned how much she loves her tiny, trusty pink taglet? I had to get her two so she has one on hand while I wash the other (it gets very grimy while she’s teething).
After two weeks of testing I can say that the sleepy sac is a product I’ve come to love – so much so that our little family is going to be purchasing the Baby Sense Summer Sleepy Sac too! ^_^
Have you ever used a baby sleeping bag? What features do you love?
Kisses from Cape Town
One thought on “Saving my Sanity with the Baby Sense Sleepy Sac”
Love sleep sacks, they really are life savers!!!